Electrician in Marion, INMr Kool2022-03-16T15:02:48-04:00
Our world depends entirely on electricity. Our homes, vehicles, appliances, and places of employment all revolve around powered devices.
New electrical codes are making homes safer than ever, but if you live in an older home, or a home with outdated electrical systems, you could be at risk.
Every year, approximately 1000 deaths are caused by electrical hazards. Twenty percent of those are children.
With technology accelerating every day, our need for power and safe electrical systems is increasing at an ever-growing pace. It’s important to have a professional electrician do any repairs or installations to ensure that your home is safe.
12 Signs That You Need an Electrician
The symptoms of an outdated or hazardous system are obvious but are often overlooked or ignored.
These 12 signs are clear indicators that you need an electrician to take a look at your system.
1. Sparking: Anytime you see sparks when you plug or unplug, it’s time for a home safety check. Sometimes sparks are caused due to rapid drawdown, which is normal. Other times it may have underlying ramifications.
2. Circuit Breaker Tripping Regularly: A tripped circuit breaker is not usually a cause for concern, but if it happens on a regular basis, it’s time to call an electrician and find out the underlying cause(s).
In most cases, the breaker can actually be upgraded or replaced to handle the load.
3. Flickering Lights: Flickering lights are more than an inconvenience. They actually show up as higher electricity bills and are also associated with headaches, vision issues, distractions at the office, reduced morale and low energy levels.
4. Burning Smell: If you ever smell a burning scent when switching on an appliance, turn off the appliance immediately, unplug anything connected, and call an experienced electrician as soon as possible.
5. Your Building or Home is Old: Older buildings mean older electrical systems. If your home in Marion, IN is over 25 years old, outlets, wiring, circuit breakers, and other components are likely outdated and need to be repaired or upgraded to meet current codes.
Call an electrician for a thorough inspection.
6. Breaker Box is Buzzing: Electricity should run silently. If your breaker box is buzzing or humming, there is a big problem and may be susceptible to major damage.
7. Fuses are Continually Blowing: Fuses blow when they are overloaded. It is a common occurrence, and a blown fuse is not a big deal.
However, several blown fuses on a regular basis are a sign of a bigger problem that may require a commercial electrician to check for underlying issues.
8. Hot Switch Plates or Outlets: If the actual outlet is hot to the touch when it’s in use, you have a problem. Turn off whatever is plugged in and call an electrician.
9. You Don’t Have GFCI Outlets: The National Electrical Code now requires Ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) near all wet locations in the home. A GFCI outlet is identified by the TEST and RESET buttons.
These should be placed in kitchens, baths, utility rooms, garages, and outdoors. If your wiring has not been upgraded with GFCIs you’re not protected.
10. Lights Dim When Appliances Turn On: If you notice your lights dim when you turn on the dishwasher or a similar thing happens when you use the vacuum, this can damage sensitive equipment and may cause a problem in the future.
11. You’re Buying or Selling a Home: Anytime you are buying or selling a home, having an electrical survey is the best way to inspect for any possible repairs needed.
12. Rodent Problems: This is an often-forgotten sign of electrical problems. Rodent’s love chewing on cables and leaving exposed wires. If you’ve had rodents in your house, it’s a good idea to have your wiring checked as soon as possible.
Benefits Of Hiring a Professional Electrician
Electrical work is not a DIY project. Even if the work is done correctly, it won’t pass inspection if it’s not completed by a professional. This can cause major issues when to try to sell your home and the electrical work is not approved.
The risks involved in electrical work are way too high to mess with your own wiring, fuses, and breakers.
Prevent Damage: If you don’t get the wiring right, it could lead to power surge and damage expensive electronics and appliances in the home.
Avoid Being Electrocuted: Electrical shock can cause severe injuries that may make you end up in an emergency room or with a serious medical problem.
Prevent Fire Breakout: Because electricity can jump, if the wiring isn’t done correctly, shorts can create heat to build up and cause damage or electrical fires in the home.
This single issue leads to thousands of home fires every year from faulty wiring or improperly installed devices.
Complying with Building Codes: In order to ensure any electrical work is up to code, you must have an intimate knowledge of current building codes which can be detailed and complex.
Reduced Cost in the Future: Most DIY electrical work will actually end up costing you more in the long run by causing additional damage to your wiring, fixtures, or panels. Your money is much better spent hiring a professional.
Carry Liability Insurance: If a person is injured or your property is damaged due to an electrical repair, your electrician will cover the costs. If you do the repair yourself, you take on this additional risk.
Take Ongoing Training: New technology, training, and techniques are released every day. Licensed electricians take required classes to improve their skills and stay on top of local, state, and federal regulations.
Don’t Take Shortcuts: Nobody wants an unstable electrical system. Shortcuts are a recipe for disaster. Certified electricians inspect each component carefully and make thorough repairs without cutting corners.
Have All Tools Needed: Most electrical projects, especially large-scale projects require specialized equipment that most homeowners do not have. This may include outlet testers, breaker finders, measuring devices, multimeters, voltage sensors, and more.
Types of Electrical Repair Services
A certified electrician in Marion, IN can take care of a wide range of electrical repair services. These are the common services our electricians provide on a regular basis.
1. Emergency Electrical Repairs: If you have an emergency on your hand, an electrician can be there quickly to remedy the problem and protect your family and your home.
2. Faulty Interior and Exterior Wiring: Replacing or repairing wiring in older homes or wiring that wasn’t done correctly the first time is a common job for electricians.
3. Electrical Panels: A malfunctioning panel is a huge burden and a significant fire hazard. Experts can keep your electrical panel working properly.
4. Generator: A generator is a great source of backup power, but it should be serviced regularly to ensure it’s available when you need it.
5. Ceiling Fan: Fixtures like ceiling fans can be inspected by an electrician to ensure it works properly and all the wiring is correct.
6. Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector: This is a vital component of home safety. If your smoke or carbon monoxide detectors need to be checked or repaired, certified electricians can ensure they are working correctly.
7. Electrical Switches and Outlet: Your switches and outlets may need to be repaired or replaced. Electricians can install new switches and outlets throughout your home.
8. Indoor/Outdoor Lighting: If you’re looking to upgrade, repair, or install new lighting, call an electrician to ensure you get a lighting solution you love that is both safe and installed correctly.
9. Fault Location and Repair: Electrical faults can put your health and safety at risk. An electrician can identify fault locations quickly and make any necessary repairs to keep electrical faults from disrupting your day.
FAQs About Electrical Services
Is knob and tube wiring safe?
No. Knob-and-tube wiring lacks ground wire, making it incompatible with modern three-prong appliances and devices. This puts electronics at increased risk of damage and your family and home at greater risk for shock and fire. They are also not rated for moist environments, which makes them a hazard in the home.
Why do fuses blow or breakers trip?
This will happen when you have too many things working at once. Things like air conditioners, microwaves, plug-in heaters, toasters, all use the same circuit and too much pull causes them to blow or trip.
Can I do the small electrical jobs in my house myself?
Absolutely not. If you complete electrical work on your own, it will not pass certification which is bad news, especially if you need to sell the property. You also risk your personal safety and the safety of your family and friends.
Trust The Professionals for Your Electrical Repair Needs
Electrical repair is more than just replacing light switches or checking tripped breakers. It is hazardous work that should be completed by a highly trained and certified electrician. We are here to take care of you and your family. You and your family’s safety should always come first. Give us a call for any repair, installation, or replacement of your electrical system.
We are proud to serve Marion, Gas City, Fairmount, Upland, Jonesboro, Sweetser, Van Buren, and surrounding areas in Indiana. Give us a call today!
Eric (Mr Kool) is a true asset to Grant county and I’m very pleased with his work.
12:14 20 May 22
They did a good job was disappointed that the guy under the house says i cant wait to get the... f out of here loud enough my wife heard himread more
16:30 08 May 22
We had an original HVAC system that needed upgraded. Mr. Kool was able to fit us in within 72... hours and ended up doing a lot more work than expected because he wanted to make sure it was done right without asking for more money. Everything looks very professional and I’m very satisfied with the outcome. He understood my situation and what the house actually needed and didn’t try to upswell me and even gave me a really good deal for everything they did. I cannot recommend them enough, no matter how extensive your needs are.read more
23:24 26 Apr 22
Eric went out of his way to find someone to repair our outside well on a Saturday!! Will... definitely call them again if needed!read more
22:47 14 Feb 22
They already awesome I highly recommend them.
Norwell Band Dad
23:37 02 Feb 22
After calling several other plumbers - some highly advertised on local radio - and receiving... no responses, I was referred to Mr Kool in Bluffton, Indiana. Within one day, my leaking pipe was fixed by 2 very friendly and professional guys. The price was very affordable and I was happy to support a local business. Thank you so much! I highly recommend Mr Kool services and will likely call them soon to install a new water heater.read more
20:10 02 Feb 22
I had them out on a Tuesday, turns out the entire furnace was dead. With a snowstorm on the... horizon, Eric (the owner) came out the NEXT DAY to install a new one!!! All staff was very knowledgeable and took the time to make sure we understood how the new system worked. Will be using them for all our future needs.read more
01:06 31 Dec 21
Called for a estimate. But will definitely call back.
00:07 19 Dec 21
Woke up on a Saturday morning and the heat was out. Called Mr. Kool about 8am. The owner came... out and fixed the furnace! Outstanding service! They stand behind their products.read more
01:13 12 Nov 21
The service guy who came to our house is awesome and very informative. Getting a furnance and... air installed!! Very reasonable priced!read more
18:15 13 Jun 21
Very PROFESSIONAL and great PRICED company Eric and Ben are my go to guys for my 13... communities I run. Thank you guys. I would recommend Mr.Kool for all your needs.read more
16:27 19 Apr 21
From the time I initially called Eric for a quote on a whole home fresh install, to the time... it was complete, took just over 3 weeks start to finish. Eric was very communicative, professional, courteous, and informative during the whole process. Tanner and his crew were extremely professional, helpful, and thorough in their installation. I had a crew of guys at the house for 4 days, and not once did I see anyone even taking a break. They cleaned up as they worked, took the time to explain things to me as I asked, and went above and beyond the initial scope of work that was agreed upon. They even identified AND REPAIRED a few problems with the home that were preexisting. These guys are true craftsmen that take pride not just in the work, but in the finished product. I called Eric the evening that they finished the job to ask a question, and he showed up to the house within 30 minutes to help me.I can’t say enough great things about Mr. Kool, and if you are hesitating to call them, don’t! You won’t be disappointed.Thank you, Eric, Tanner, and the rest of the crew, for a job well done!read more
15:18 05 Mar 21
Prompt and ready to work. These guys will show up in the morning and work till late to get a... job done. Had a small issue the next day with it and had a guy at my door within the hour. Would definitely hire them again.read more
20:31 03 Mar 21
EXCELLENT response time & service! (THANKS Austin & Brian!)Mr. Kool.... I would highly... recommend them. 5 stars! Great prices & efficient!read more
19:00 19 Feb 21
The guys where really helpful.we didnt find the part that I needed , but found one that... worked. Installed an furnace working.Heat is great !! Thanks Eric and all involved ...read more
15:44 01 Jan 21
Mr Kool has always gone above and beyond in anyway possible. He is reliable, honest,... dependable and has an outstanding team. I dont call anyone else.read more
21:55 13 Nov 20
Fantastic service, great quality. If you want someone who cares about the work they do and who... does the work right the first time, call Eric with Mr. Kool!read more
22:45 20 Sep 20
We are so impressed with Eric and all of the Mr. Cool crew. When our furnace and central air... needed replaced we were overwhelmed to say the least. Eric even brought us over a loaner window unit so we didn’t melt in the 90+ degree weather. They went above and beyond to explain our options and communicate the whole process. They finished quicker than they thought and provided excellent customer service on all aspects. We highly recommend Mr. Cool for all of your heating and cooling needs!read more
16:14 19 Jul 20
He definitely saved us thousands of dollars. He not only showed up super fast but he fixed the... problem in no time. Super nice, friendly, smart, honest man I would a thousand percent recommend him to anybody.read more
03:40 08 Jul 20
Our air went out and the other company said we new everything! Which who can afford a new unit... right away?! We have four kids too! He came right out, and we had it fixed for an affordable price, it was obvious the other place just wanted us to spend lots of money. VERY Honest work. Thanks again!!read more
18:06 16 Jun 20
Great service and fair prices. Friendly personnel as well.
18:21 30 May 20
Eric was very quick at returning my call and coming out to give an estimate. He explained all... of our options, once we decided he was out the next day and was installed, very professional and friendly. I would recommend Mr. Kool to all my friends and family.read more
18:18 30 May 20
I could not ask for more! Quick to respond and was more than willing and able to work with... our budget! Highly recommended!read more
00:04 28 Feb 20
My experience with Eric was 5-star from the beginning. He was very responsive, explained my... options, and helped me understand the process. He and his crew installed an entire new HVAC/heating/air conditioning system, including tearing out the old duct work and installing all new duct work. Eric has also contacted me to see how the system is working - which is great, by the way - and I really appreciated his checking! I am VERY pleased with my new system and I recommend Eric to anyone who needs HVAC work done! Thanks Eric and crew!read more
01:49 21 Feb 20
Great speedy service!
17:39 24 May 19
I absolutely think he is great and his prices are great also. I recommend him to everyone........ call Eric Mr Kool he's your guy. Great efficent work.read more
17:49 18 May 19
Great fast friendly service got me back up and going in an hour prices were even great. Great... great serviceread more
17:47 18 May 19
Great fast service very knowledgeable and got me back up and running in less than an hour and... had very great pricing!!read more
01:23 23 Feb 19
I received the best service from Swartz. Don walked me through the whole process and made me... feel like I was the most important customer. He patiently explained everything and they made me a top priority and got the job done quickly and with great quality. I highly recommend them and will be using them in the future.read more